Microsoft has announced that it’s officially ending support for Windows 7 today, which means if you’re one of the many people still using the old operating system, the Redmond giant will no longer support your version of Windows, including end of support for security fixes and patches. The good news is that you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free, and it’s completely legal as long as you had an original Windows 7 (or Windows 8.1) system.
How to Get Windows 10 for Free
For the purposes of this tutorial, I’m assuming your computer meets the minimum requirements for running Windows 10. If you are unsure of this, you can check out Microsoft’s recommended system specifications for running Windows 10 here.
Here’s how you can upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free.
- Head over to the Windows 10 download website from your PC.
- You’ll see a section called ‘Create Windows 10 Installation Media’. Here, click on ‘Download tool now’ and run the downloaded app.
- Choose ‘Upgrade this PC now’.
- Choose whether you want to start fresh, or keep your files intact.
- Once the upgrade is complete, you will receive a digital license for Windows 10. You can find this by heading to Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation.
Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free Right Now
Well, now that you know how you can upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 for free, go ahead and download the latest version of Windows on your PC to ensure that you get timely updates and security fixes from Microsoft for your system. If you have any doubts or if you encounter any problems, let me know in the comments down below and I’ll definitely try and help you out.