After a long wait and a lot of beta releases, Apple has finally released macOS Catalina to the public. This means that if you’re using a compatible Mac (and you probably are, because Apple is supporting a lot of Macs for Catalina) you can now safely install the latest version of macOS. So, if you are wondering how to download macOS Catalina on your Mac, here’s what you need to do:
Devices Eligible to Get macOS Catalina
First, let’s ensure that your Mac is compatible with macOS Catalina. The following devices are officially supported by Apple for receiving the upgrade to macOS 10.15 Catalina:
- MacBook (early 2015 and newer)
- MacBook Air (mid 2012 and newer)
- MacBook Pro (mid 2012 and newer)
- Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
- iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
- iMac Pro
- Mac Pro (late 2013 and newer)
To see which device you’re using, just click on the Apple Logo in your Mac’s menu bar, and click on About This Mac. In the window that pops up, you’ll be able to see the name of your Mac, along with the year it was manufactured in.
How to Download macOS Catalina
Note: Even though this is a stable version of macOS Catalina. I would recommend that you backup your Mac before you install macOS Catalina. This way you can ensure that your data remains safe in case of an emergency.
To install macOS Catalina on your Mac, simply follow the steps below:
- Open the App Store on your Mac. You will probably find macOS Catalina right on the home page, but if you can’t, you can simply search for Catalina in the App Store and you’ll find the listing. Click on it.
- Now, click on “Get” to start downloading macOS Catalina on your Mac. This process might take some time since macOS Catalina is around 8GB in size, so be patient.
- Once the download is finished, the Catalina installer will open on your Mac automatically. If it doesn’t you can find it in the Launchpad as well and click on it to start the installer. Here, click on “Continue”.
- You will now have to agree to the terms and conditions for using the software, after which, you can choose the SSD or hard disk where you want to install macOS Catalina. In most Macs, this will be called “Macintosh HD”. Just click on “Install“.
- Enter your admin password, and click on OK to continue the installation.
Enjoy all the New macOS Catalina Features
The installation process takes some time, but you can continue using your Mac while the installer does its job. Once the installation is completed, you can jump right into using all the incredible new features that macOS Catalina offers. You can set up time limits in Screen Time, use the all new apps like Music, set Dark Mode to switch on and off automatically based on time of day, and more.