Telegram is one of the best messaging apps out there especially if you are looking for truly secure and private conversations with your friends and family. The app also keeps adding new features every now and then to keep the app interesting and make it even more easy for users to interact with their contacts. Now, in a new update, Telegram has added the ability to create Chat Folders to organise chats within the app. So if you are wondering how to use them, here is how to create chat folders in Telegram.
What are Chat Folders and Why Should You Use Them
Think of Chat Folders as essentially categories for your Telegram chats. So, say you have a bunch of chats and channels where you discuss things about Android, some chats and channels about iOS and macOS, and some personal chats and channels.
Normally, all these chats will show up in your Telegram feed in a normal order. However, with Chat Folders, you can divide the Telegram app into sections for each of these categories; making it easier for you to focus on the thing you’re looking for.
This means you can get to important information faster. If you’re trying to look for important Android updates, you can head over to that chat group and see the messages you’ve received in chats and channels about Android. If you’re trying to stay in touch with your friends and family, you can head over to the personal chat folder and see those messages, and so on and so forth.
How to Create Chat Folders in Telegram (iPhone and Android)
The method to create chat folders in Telegram for iOS and Telegram for Android is slightly different, so I will be mentioning both the methods here.
Create Telegram Chat Folders in iPhone
- Open the Telegram app and long press on the ‘Chats’ icon. From the context menu that pops up, tap on ‘Add Folder‘
- Tap on ‘Create New Folder‘. Now give your folder a name, and add the chats you want in it.
- Tap on ‘Create‘ and then tap on ‘Close‘.
Repeat the process for as many folders as you want. Now your Telegram app will show something like the screenshot below. You can swipe on the screen to switch between folders and view chats just from that particular folder.
Create Telegram Chat Folders in Android
- Tap on the hamburger menu icon in the Telegram app and then tap on ‘Settings‘.
- Here, tap on ‘Folders‘ and then on ‘Create New Folder‘.
- Give your folder a name, add the chats you want in it, and tap on ‘Save’.
How to Edit Chat Folders in Telegram (iOS and Android)
If you’re an avid Telegram user, chances are you discover new channels all the time, and join them. At least I do that a lot. So, that means you might need to edit your Telegram chat folders in the future to add new chats to them, rearrange their order, or remove chats from them as well. Here’s how you can do that on iOS and Android.
Edit Telegram Chat Folders in iPhone
- Long press on the Chats icon in Telegram, and tap on ‘Edit Folders‘.
- Tap on any folder to add or remove chats in the folder. If you want to re-order the folders, tap on ‘Edit’ and then use the handles to drag the folders into the order you want.
Edit Telegram Chat Folders in Android
- Tap on the hamburger menu icon in the Telegram app and then tap on ‘Settings’.
- Now, tap on ‘Folders‘. You can now use the handles to rearrange the folder order in Telegram.
- If you want to add or remove chats from a folder, tap on the folder and then make the changes you want to make.
Manage Telegram Chats Easily with Folders
As you can see, chat folders make it a lot easier to manage chats in Telegram. Personally, I use them a lot to sort out my Telegram chats especially because I am a part of a large number of groups and channels relating to tech news and updates and it can get difficult keeping a track of things without proper organisation.